Your life is like an ongoing work of art. It is filled with characteristics from your family. It is brought to life by your experiences, triumphs, and setbacks. And as long as you live, it will continue to be a form of artistic creation.
Creativity is often defined by creative works, such as books, paintings, and movies. But creativity encompasses more than the works we create. Living a creative life also involves the thought, energy, and time we devote to creating the life we’ve been given to live.
This week on The Portfolio Life, Rob Bell and I discuss creating a life worth living, and how you have the ability, choice, and power to pursue your calling. During this conversation, you will also have the opportunity to peer into Rob’s creative rhythms and writing process, and how he balances life and work.
Listen in as Rob shares what he learned going through a difficult season of life, the power of making small changes, and when you know you’re on the right path to creating great work.
Listen to the podcast
To listen to the show, click the player below. (If you are reading this via email or RSS, please click here.)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | RSS
In this episode, Rob and I discuss:
- What Rob learned about life after experiencing his worst fear.
- Why creativity is working with the material life gives you.
- What it means to live a creative life.
- How small changes can lead you to live an empowered life.
- Why Rob expresses his ideas in the least amount of words as possible.
- The elements of a good story.
- Rob’s life and work rhythms.
- Taking daily strides toward accomplishing big goals.
Quotes and takeaways
- “What kind of life are we going to create and what kind of world are we going to create together?”—Rob Bell.
- You know you’re on the right path toward creating great work when the good material doesn’t fit in.
- “It’s not hard to fill pages. The hardest work is in what to eliminate.”—Rob Bell.
- Saying less with words is far more difficult than saying something with many words.
- How to Be Here, by Rob Bell.
- Velvet Elvis, by Rob Bell.
- NOOMA, complete video collection by Rob Bell.
- Flash Boys, by Michael Lewis.
- Flickering Pixels, by Shane Hipps.
- Love Wins, by Rob Bell.
- Download the full interview transcript here.
I am the best-selling author of five books, including the national bestsellers The Art of Work and Real Artists Don’t Starve. Each week, I send out a free newsletter with my best tips on writing, publishing, and helping your creative work succeed.